Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Food!


So here is the "Scoop" on food!

Brooklyn has been nursing since day one and she has done great! I am fortunate to have a great milk supply and we have both been very happy nursing :) I noticed that B started to get very curious and want everything we were eating. Sooooo we took the plunge and started solids this month! My goal was to nurse exclusively until at least eight month so I felt comfortable getting started! I wasn't planning on this "solid" adventure to be much in the way of nutrition as much as exploration unless she just downed the food (I didn't figure she would, and I was right). Food before one is just for fun...right! HAHA! (Well sometimes...I guess it depends on the baby ;)

So our first attempt was mashed up avocado, nice and healthy right??!!.....and....well.... she gagged and threw up! Ummm so much for that! I decided to wait a few days and we tried again with more avocado and then rice cereal....again she threw up both! Oh no!...now I was having second thoughts about waiting so long; maybe this was my fault and I should have started earlier! Was she just not use to the texture? Not sure what to do with the food? Didn't like the food? Was I starting too early? Too late?! Yes my mind was racing....and a little panic for this first time mom! I DID NOT want a four year old who still nursed haha!

Well I decided to take a break. I talked to a few friends and her pediatrician who gave me great advice, said this was very common and she just needed to learn what to do with the food, and we gave it another go! Second time around was totally different! Success :)!! I just needed to give her more time and experience :)

Now she never became a huge fan of rice cereal or avocado but loved pureed sweet potatoes, pears, green beans and some other veggies! She never ate that much, sometimes just a few bites and then she was done...no problem for me! She still nursed like normal so I knew she is getting her essentials :)


I noticed she liked to be in control of the situation.  She always would grab the spoon before it made it to her month and along with me, would guide the spoon to her mouth. Then she would let go and I would get more puree.  This really was OK with me as long as she didn't try to take the spoon completely and then throw it or something.


It was not long after this I got a hold of a book about Baby Led Weaning. I loved it and noticed how Brooklyn seemed very interested in table food. Way more interested then in her pureed baby food. Soooooo....we jumped right in! I read that pureed baby food is very important for young babies who are stating on solids, like 4-6 months. Since she is older and has a mouth full of teeth and was doing so well sucking down her purees I decided to see how she did with table food. She literally started to try table food within about two week. WOW....she LOVED table food! I'm sure some of it had to do with feeding herself (yes we have a "Miss Independent"!) and just the exploring, she loves exploring! It didn't seem like she was swallowing very much, but eventually I would start to see evidence in her diaper!  I steamed broccoli, carrots, and green beans. I would make them large enough for her to grab and hold.  I would also heat up an apple in the microwave to soften it.  Cold cucumbers are a big hit too! The only thing she doesn't seem to like right now are bananas. 

We are currently trying food once a day, usually at lunch, and I alternate a puree or a table food. Or I might feed her a puree and then give her a few small pieces of table food just to see if she is still hungry.

She never eats very much, sometimes not even a whole 4 oz jar, but has LOTS of FUN!!! You can tell by looking at the pictures below....such a BIG girl she is becoming!






 


I know everyone does solids differently; starting purees earlier, starting them later, never giving table food till their child is older, etc....but I just went with my mommy instinct, did some research on my own, talked to her doctor, and did what felt was right for us. I am please with how it went and is going. Brooklyn is doing so well! I am happy :) I'm sure I will write more on her food experience in the future since this is just the beginning!

No comments: